Can't boot new kernel image

Goh Lip g.lip at
Sun Jul 19 04:51:02 BST 2009

Tim Johnson wrote:
> using ver 8.04 LTS;
> a recent update has added a new kernel image:
> initrd.img-2.6.24-24-generic dated July 15 with
> initrd.img-2.6.24-24-generic.bak dated July 2.
> I just got around to rebooting and when I select the kernel above
> from grub, I got error messages, didn't record them, but something
> about a splash screen (maybe?).
> I've had this problem in the past with 7.04. I solved it by running
> some configuration of apt-get, but I don't remember which.
> Comments anyone?
Tim, not really much useful information here, but we'll try.
Assume (bad word again) you are using grub legacy and have not converted
to grub2.

At the grub screen, go to command, (press 'c').
enter "configfile (hd0,x)/boot/grub/menu.lst"

When boot to 8.04, open terminal and issue command
"sudo update-grub"

without quotes, and (hd0,x) being partition of 8.04, eg. (hd0,4) is sda5
or (hd0,3) is sda4)

If unsure about partition number, at grub command, enter
"find boot/grub/stage1". Output will show partitions with grub.

goh lip