Debug

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 17 12:48:31 UTC 2009

On Friday 17 July 2009 03:19:16 am Nils Kassube wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
> > >
> > > Install the packages kdebase-dbg (for konqueror) and kdepim-dbg
> > > (for kmail).
> >
> > In attempting to follow your instruction, I made the following
> > command entries.  Obviously I used the correct one last, but when I
> > try, I get this same result, which discourages using it often.
> > Usually when it comes to this point, I start over using sudo instead
> > of kdesudo which did not work when I first tried this time.
>
> The problem seems to be that you don't remember when to use sudo and
> when to use kdesudo. For command line applications like apt-get or
> aptitude it is sudo and for graphical applications like kate it would be
> kdesudo. Here you first correctly used "sudo apt-get ..." but made a
> typo with the package name. Later you tried it again with kdesudo and
> the correct package name. Both don't work for different reasons.
>
> > steven at Yeshua:~$ sudo apt-get install kdebase-dgb
>
> You mistyped the package name, it should be kdebase-dbg.
>
> > steven at Yeshua:~$ sudo aptitude kdebase-dbg
>
> The command would have been "sudo aptitude install kdebase-dbg".
>
> > steven at Yeshua:~$ kdesudo apt-get install kdebase-dbg
>
> Well, this isn't useful because apt-get isn't a GUI application. So if
> you really want to use the command line, you should use this command:
>
> sudo apt-get install kdebase-dbg kdepim-dbg
>
> And please use copy&paste to get the command right. However, I would
> suggest to use the synaptic package manager instead. IMHO it is easier
> to use and you don't suffer from typos and wrong commands. Use
>
> sudo apt-get install synaptic
>
> to install the program and in synaptic click the "search" button. Enter
> kdebase in the search window and click "search". Among others it will
> show a line with the package kdebase-dbg. Right-click on that line and
> select "mark for installation". Repeat it for the kdepim-dbg package and
> finally click "apply".
>

> Nils

Perhaps you won't believe it, but I usually type fairly accurately.  Few
spelling errors.  But when I am fatigued, I make lots of typos and I believe
that is what happened here.  Because it is not common, I did not notice it.

I am using the cli most of time now and prefer it.  If I change to Synaptic, I
will stop growing, and I would prefer to embarrass myself with a stupid email
like the one you responded to.

I made the installation.

I have not been reporting certain bugs, because they showed nothing in the
details option; that is my reason for wanting the dbg ability.

When I get a kate window with debugging data, am I able to send that to the
people who fix these things, or am I supposed to know how to use the kate data
to debug the problem myself.  For me, it is not intuitive.  So what do I do
after I click on details.  I looked up kde dbg tutorial, but that is a little
advance for me right now.  Where should I start, to learn this stuff, I would
like to be useful and helpful.

Steven