Print server for dual environment

Kevin B. O'Brien nadreck at palain.com
Thu Jul 16 01:53:24 UTC 2009

Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 July 2009, Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
>
>> I tried setting it up as a socket on port 9100, which one person
>> (Terrell Prude Jr.) suggested worked great for him. For me, not so much,
>> that is what gave me the "broken pipe" error. I then tried doing what
>> the manual suggested, using the URL "lpd://192.168.1.107/USB1_LQ", and
>> the error I get now is "/usr/lib/cups/backend/lpd failed". Now, there is
>> some kind of executable file, looks like a binary, at this location, so
>> it is not a missing file kind of problem. I suspect I am probably
>> overlooking something that is probably obvious to more experienced
>> people like you, but I don't know what it is. So I am asking for some help.
>>

> Ok,,,   you should set it up in CUPS, and as long as it truely will talk on
> the network (and Windows isn't making it sick) then it should work fine.
>
> In your browser,   type in the link:     localhost:631
>
> That should get you a nice page for defining a CUPS printer.
>
> Click on  'Add Printer'
>
> For a name, use   lp       (a pretty standard name)
> Location:    <wherever>
>
> Continue
>
> Device:   AppSocket/HP JetDirect
>
> Continue
>
> Device URL:    socket://192.168.0.11:9100   Use your IP addresses for the
> printer
>
> Continue
>
> Now you have a problem, because I do not see your printer in the vendor list.
> You may have to dig on this one... or get a PPD file off windows, but I've
> never done that.
>
> Beyond this, you pick a model for the printer and then you are done.
>

> Sorry I couldn't take you all the way to the end
Well, that is where I was when this started. I had set it up in CUPS as
socket://192.168.1.107:9100, and that is what gave me the error about a
broken pipe. I guess I will try to find out how to get a PPD file off of
Windows, then.

Thank you,

--
Kevin B. O'Brien         TANSTAAFL
nadreck at palain.com      Linux User #333216

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no
distinctly native American criminal class except Congress" - Mark Twain