dual boot Kubuntu 8.04/xp pro sp3(repair)

John Pierce john.j35 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 00:49:01 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Willy Hamra<w.hamra1987 at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>>  >>> my grub, and if it does how do I repair it, has anyone out there faced the same
>>>  >>> problem?
>>>  >>>
>>>  >>> ray
>>>  >>> ps I am a newbie at this
>>>  >>>
>>>  >>> --
>>>  >>> kubuntu-users mailing list
>>>  >>> kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>>>  >>>
>>>  >>
>>>  >> What kind of repair do you have to make on your windows partition?
>>>  >>
>>>  >>
>>>  >>
>>>  >> --
>>>  >> John
>>>  >> Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at
>>>  >> http://counter.li.org
>>>  >>
>>>  >> --
>>>  >> kubuntu-users mailing list
>>>  >> kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>>>  >>
>>>  >
>>>  >
>>>  > John,
>>>  >
>>>  > I have two seperate hard drives 80gb xp pro sp3 drive c and 40gb
>>>  > Kubuntu drive d(but dosent
>>>  > show when booted in xp pro) these are dual booted thru grub.
>>>  > the reapir I want to do is to fix any errors I have made on the xp pro
>>>  > system in the last
>>>  > 1 year, as is hen I last done it when I was dual booted with xp pro
>>>  > and win 2000 pro?
>>>  > the reapair is when I load the xp pro cd when I first boot up and
>>>  > selet upgrade/and reply yes
>>>  > to ulca and type the poduct key and then select the rapair, and it
>>>  > then loads new xp pro with all
>>>  > my old data?
>>>  >
>>>  > understand
>>>  >
>>>  > ray
>>>  >
>>>  > --
>>>  > kubuntu-users mailing list
>>>  > kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>>>  >
>>>

>>> Have a look at this page, especially at Backup, Repairing and Reinstalling GRUB:
>>>
>>>  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto
>>>
>>>  This should help you reinstall grub after windows overwrites the MBR.
>>>

>>>  --
>>>
>>> John
>>>  Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at
>>>  http://counter.li.org
>>>
>>>  --
>>>

>> John,
>>
>> Does a repair corrupt the grub or not? and if so I see in those
>> instructions to repair
>> the grub and see the easy way is to do a creating a boot floppy? but
>> does not state
>> in these instructions on how to?
>>

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows#Overwriting%20the%20Windows%20bootloader
> read this section of this page only. don't read other sections

# Boot your computer up with Ubuntu CD
# Open a terminal window or switch to a tty.
#

Go SuperUser (that is, type "sudo -s"). Enter root passwords as necessary.
# Type "grub"
# Type "find /boot/grub/stage1". You'll get a response like "(hd0,1)".
Use whatever your computer spits out for the following lines.
# Type "root (hd0,1)", or whatever your hard disk + boot partition
numbers are for Ubuntu.
# Type "setup (hd0)", to install GRUB to MBR, or "setup (hd0,1)" or
whatever your hard disk + partition nr is, to install GRUB to a
partition.
# Quit grub by typing "quit".
# Reboot and remove the bootable CD.