New on kubuntu

Joel Oliver joelol75 at verizon.net
Mon Jul 13 00:11:37 UTC 2009

Luis Ordaz wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm new using kubuntu system and i dont even know where to start to
> play media or to run any programs. can somebody help.
The best place to start here is to enable the medibuntu repositories:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

To play dvd's required the libdvdcss2 package which may be 'illegal' in
some countries.

Also installing the kubuntu-restricted-extras package will get your
codecs for most media up to date.  Also look into the vlc media player.
It "self-contains" all the most common codecs right out of the box and
is a fantastic player.  There are many choices though and it's all
personal preference...  Especially with managing your audio collection.
(Amarok is a great full featured player/organizer but is heavyweight)
vlc, and many others are lighter with the lightest being the mpg321
package which plays mp3's right on the command line.

The most important thing for a newbie is to learn how to manage your
software packages and kubuntu doesn't really impress me in this area
with the 'adept' manager.  I recommend grabbing the synaptic package
manager right off the bat.  Drop to a terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install synaptic

and enter your password..  Then learning that getting software installed
by using the repositories and adding new repositories instead of the sad
Windows way of hunting down software packages by going to the website of
the software and downloading them one by one (Which is also very
insecure as many of these 'free' Windows software brings spyware,
adware, trojans... ect.)

There are some uses of getting certain packages from outside of the
repositories for some reasons.  Mostly to get the lastest version (such
as my website http://stinker.serveftp.net:8000 to get the latest svn
gtk-gnutella software in precompiled .deb and .rpm packages), to get
"non-free" commecial versions restricted by copyright (Virtualbox comes
to mind), or to get software which isn't in the repositories (Frostwire
comes to mind) and the best method of adding repositories (Handbrake is
an awesome video converting program that requires a ppa to be added,
there is many ppa's on launchpad for different software)

Welcome to (k)ubuntu!