4 updates held back for 3 weeks...

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 10:52:40 UTC 2009

Johnny Ernst Nielsen wrote:
> Greetings Eberhard and Mr. Sinclair.
>
> Fredag den 10. juli 2009 kvad Eberhard Roloff:
>> Johnny Ernst Nielsen schrieb:
>>> linux-generic
>>> linux-headers-generic
>>> linux-image-generic
>>> linux-restricted-modules-generic
>>>
>>> Why?
>>>
>>> And how to resolve?
>>>
>>> I use apt-get on the command line.
>>>
>>> Best regards :o)
>>>
>>> Johnny :o)
>> This worked for me, anytime updates were indicated to be
>> held back.
>>

>> sudo apt-get update
>> sudo apt-get upgrade
>> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>>
>> The last command usually triggers the updates that where
>> held back.
>
> Thanks to Mr. Sinclair, aptitude tells me that it wants to install 4
> NEW packages:
>
> linux-headers-2.6.28-13{a}
> linux-headers-2.6.28-13-generic{a}
> linux-image-2.6.28-13-generic
> linux-restricted-modules-2.6.28-13-generic
>
> If I leave my sources unchanged, will dist-upgrade upgrade to 9.10
> come october, if I issue the above 3 commands?
>
> I don't want that.
>
> I want 9.04 updated with bugfixes and securityfixes on a daily basis.
> Installing new packages to fix bugs and security issues in 9.04 is fine
> by me, as long as dist-upgrade keeps me at 9.04 at all times.

It is a kernel upgrade, you should be able to let it upgrade using
sudo aptitude full-upgrade
and then simply reply Y
next time you boot you you will be booting into the new kernel, the old
still should be accessible if something goes wrong.

Keep an eye on whether aptitude wants to REMOVE any package though. I
have had some weird experiences with kernel updates myself.

You will be fine, you will stay on 9.04 until the time comes for a dist
upgrade. I happily mix apt-get and aptitude as sometimes one is better
than the other...