Adequate terminal alternatives for update manager.

Bas Roufs basroufs at
Thu Jul 9 15:33:57 BST 2009

Dear Everybody

Today, I managed to solve some nasty update problem by means of a
terminal command I would like to share with you.

My experience of the past few months reveals that the 'Adept Update
Manager' in Kubuntu Jaunty seemingly still is a bit buggy - especially
after NOT updating e.g. a laptop for more than 5 days. So far, I have
been often and successfully using these 2 interrelated terminal
commands when handling bigger amounts of updates:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade.

But even these two unix commands did not solve all my update and
upgrade problems today. So, I checked out a recent thread on this
issue at the general Ubuntu list. There I found 2 other Unix terminal
commands that are new to me:

sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

By means of these 2 commands I managed to handle ALL the updates
effectively. That's why, I want to share them with you at this forum.

Respectfully yours,