Adequate terminal alternatives for update manager.

John DeCarlo johndecarlo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 18:29:18 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Bas Roufs <basroufs at gmail.com> wrote:

> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get upgrade.
>
> But even these two unix commands did not solve all my update and
> upgrade problems today. So, I checked out a recent thread on this
> issue at the general Ubuntu list. There I found 2 other Unix terminal
> commands that are new to me:
>
> sudo aptitude update
> sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
>
> By means of these 2 commands I managed to handle ALL the updates
> effectively. That's why, I want to share them with you at this forum.

1.  Aptitude is a much better application than regular apt-get (and
related).  I don't know why it isn't the default, probably a political issue
(like why Debian and Ubuntu make changes to Firefox).

2.  I thought the "update" command was deprecated for all apt programs.  I
am surprised that apt-get still accepts the "update" command.  I wonder why
that is.

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=34091576500&ref=mf