nvidia driver problems

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Sat Jul 4 14:09:22 UTC 2009

On Friday 03 Jul 2009 20:58:13 Jack Trades wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Mark Greenwood <fatgerman at ntlworld.com>wrote:
>
> > First thing I looked at is this:
> > "Virtual screen size determined to be 1920 x 1080"
> > Is this the correct resolution for your monitor? If not, try adding a
> > preferred mode option under the "Monitor" section of xorg.conf, eg for
> > 1024x768 it would be
> > Option "PreferredMode" "1024x768"
> >

> Yes, that is the correct resolution of my monitor.
>
> Jack Trades

OK, try the following in xorg.conf

Section "Device"
  Identifier  "NVIDIA..."
  Driver  "nvidia"
  Option  "RenderAccel"  "True"
  Option  "BackingStore"  "True"
  Option  "DamageEvents"  "True"
  Option  "UseEvents"  "False"
  Option  "AddARGBGLXVisuals"  "False"
EndSection

Those are the settings I've most often found to cause problems. You'll need the Identifier and Driver lines for sure, If I were you I'd try the 'Option' settings one-by-one, starting with the one at the bottom.

Also, if you have Compositing enabled in KDE, turn that off first.

Mark