ATI driver problems

Alexander Smirnov alexander.v.smirnov at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 06:15:13 UTC 2009

Hello list

recently i've got a new PC at work, and it has ATI integrated graphics.
Here is what lspci shows for it: 01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI
Technologies Inc Radeon 3100 Graphics.

I'm not familiar with ATI graphics on linux, my previous PCs had Intel
or Nvidia chips. So i downloaded ati-driver-installer-9-6-x86.x86_64.sh
from ati site, made debs from it and installed them. Performance is
poor... glxgears shows number from 300 to 700. Moving windows is jerky.
I noticed that kde effects had disabled several times because of poor
performance.

Is there a way to increase the performance? my system is jaunty, kernel
is 2.6.28-13-generic

Thank you,
-Alex