Upgrade KDE to 4.2

P Kapat kap4lin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 20:13:15 GMT 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Amila Liyanaarachchi
<amila.uoc at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello,
>
> An error message which I got while trying to fix the prob,
>
> dpkg: error processing
> /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs5-data_4%3a4.2.0-0ubuntu1~intrepid1~ppa3_all.deb
> (--unpack):
>  trying to overwrite
> `/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/launchpad.png', which is also in
> package kdelibs-data

> any guesses?

yes, your kde installation is messed up... do the following. log out
of kde (if at all you are in). take a backup of your ".kde" and
".kde4" by doing

$ cd /home/username
$ cp -a .kde .kde3.bak
$ cp -a .kde4 .kde4.bak

 then as root (or use sudo)

$ /etc/init.d/kdm stop
$ apt-get --purge remove kde* kdm*

this will remove kde completely - a lot of packages will be gone. then
make sure you have the kubuntu-experimental's ppa repo in your
sources.list:

$ grep "kubuntu-experimental" /etc/apt/sources.list
$ grep "kubuntu-experimental" /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*

one of the above two should give you the corresponding lines.If not,
then add the correct repos as specified in other mails.... Then

$ apt-get update
$ apt-cache policy kdebase kdm

here you should see the 4.2 version as the candidate

$ apt-get install kdebase kdebase-workspace kdm

this should, I hope, give you the basic kde 4.2 from there on you can
install whatever you want...

--
Regards
PK