Photograph file dates

Paul Lemmons paul at lemmons.name
Sat Jan 31 22:51:00 UTC 2009

Paul Lemmons wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> 1) How can I change the dates of files? I know about the touch
>> command, but I'd rather give her a GUI program. She has a few tens of
>> files to change the dates of.
>>
>> 2) How can I see the date information in a jpeg? Is there a program
>> that can use that information to set the date of a file as per the
>> exif information?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
> Hello Dotan,
>
> Here is a perl script that I wrote some time back that sends files to
> directories based on their dates and update the timestams on the file.
> I think I remember you being able to code in perl. This may or may not
> meet the need but I think it is close to what you are asking for. Take
> a look and let me know if you need any assistance modifying it.
>
> I think "apt-get install libimage-info-perl" will get you all the
> parts you need to run the script.
>
> -Paul
>
> <code snip>
Just read my own post and I think it needs a little explaining. I wrote
it for myself so it has no comments. Not my normal style when sharing
code. Anyway...

The first three assignments determine how the program will run and what
it will do. Here is what they mean:

$testing = 0; # 0 = doit, 1 = just tell me what you would do
$fromImageDir = '...'; # this is the directory where your pictures reside
$toImageDir = '...'; # This is where your pictures will be moved (i.e
not copied)

The $toImageDir will be a base directory. In it directories will be
created in the format:"YYYY-MM-DD". For example "2009-01-31". The
pictures will be moved into the directories that match the day they were
taken.

I also notice that you asked for a GUI that your wife could use. I
missed that when I first replied. Maybe, you could set up an icon that
evokes this script. If your input and output directories are always the
same that could work for her. If you need to update the input and out
put directories, this may not be a good solution.