Kubuntu 8.10 does not recognise external HD with NTFS and FAT32 partitions.

Paul Clark golephish at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 09:43:08 UTC 2009

I believe that if you simply add it to your /etc/fstab and make sure that
"Mount removable drives when hot-plugged "is selected in the Removable
Storage preference panel you should be all set.

take a look here ---

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 4:24 AM, Bas Roufs <basroufs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear everybody
>
> It is a good moment to briefly summarise everything. In Kubuntu 8.10,
> the external HD is still not being mounted - even not after several
> attempts via two computers and at least 4 USB ports, from which I know
> they work properly with other USB devices.
> On the other hand, the presence of the HD is being mentioned elsewhere
> in Kubuntu, when it is plugged in: in some log files as well as in
> 'Mount Manager', which says that the mount point is 'unknown'.
> Moreover, I can normally and properly access both the FAT32 and the
> NTFS partitions of the device via the Windows partition of the desktop
> PC and via  an Apple (Mc. OS) computer.
>
> Now, 2 questions pop up in me.
>
> Is there any terminal test which can reveal the presence of any device
> at any USB port?
>
> Is it worth trying to reformat the external HD after backing up the
> data on it elsewhere? If so, how exactly?
>
> Respectfully yours,
>
> Bas.
>

> --
> Viaconsensus
> Bas G. Roufs M.A.
> Van 't Hoffstraat 1
> NL-3514 VT  Utrecht
> M. +31.6.446.835.10
> T. +31.30.785.20.40
> BasRoufs at gmail.com

Rodney Dangerfield  - "My marriage is on the rocks again, yeah, my wife just
broke up with her boyfriend."