fvwm unable to initialize in Kubuntu 8.10...[~/.xinitrc]

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Sat Jan 31 06:11:03 UTC 2009

It would appear that on Jan 28, Jonas Norlander did say:

> >> Could somebody give me a clue how to start an fvwm session
> >> in Kubuntu???
> > Looking at the startx man page, I would guess that "startx fvwm"
> > should work.
> >
> > Karl
> >

> startx and xinit uses your ~/.xinitrc to start whatever programs you
> want to start with Xorg. I have this to start fluxbox, you can put
> whatever programs you want to start there, remember that all but the
> last need to run in the background.
> ~$ cat .xinitrc
> fbdesk &
> xterm  -g 80x40+40+40 &
> startfluxbox
> # End of file

Thank you for the detailed example, and the tip about why the first two
items ended in " &"... It helped!

> I have made a special layout in xorg.conf that i use when I want to
> play games. I'm can run this layout with this command "startx -- :1
> -layout GameLayout &" from konsole in my KDE session and it will start
> a new xsession on the next virtual console using whatever i have in
> ~/.xinitrc and in my case the Fluxbox Window Manager and xterm.

I can't say I know enough about the xorg.conf to create special
layouts... But once I figured out what to temporarily copy to
~/.xinitrc to get startx to boot fvwm it worked well enough for me.
99.9% of the time I'll want kde anyway. But now I know how to actually
try other WMs... Thanks again!

> I don't run FVWM so I cant help what command to run it with but
> looking in aptitude it looks like fvwm-crystal is what you want:
> "FVWM-crystal creates an easy to use desktop environment using fvwm2
> as its window manager and main core". Installing it you should be able
> to select it in KDM when logging in.

Actually since I strongly dislike graphical logins, being able to select
it in KDM wasn't were I wanted to go. But thanks for the tip anyway.
If your example ~/.xinitrc hadn't shown me the light... I might have
tried going back to the kdm method.