shred on ext3 partition - journaled or not?

P Kapat kap4lin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 22:19:24 UTC 2009

Nothing specific to Kubuntu still: I've an ext3 partition /dev/sda7
and I want to know with what journaling options this was mounted:
(because I want to use shred on it)

fstab entry:
UUID=......       /media/sda7     ext3    defaults        0       2

mtab entry:
/dev/sda7 /media/sda7 ext3 rw 0 0

tune2fs -l /dev/sda7 shows: (only relevant parts shown)
Filesystem features:      has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index
filetype needs_recovery sparse_super large_file
Default mount options:    (none)
Journal inode:            8
Default directory hash:   half_md4
Journal backup:           inode blocks

So, is this mounted with data=journal / data=ordered / data=writeback?
More importantly Is there any way to verify what journaling mode is
used on this (or any other) partition? The reason I ask is that shred
(man shred) is not reliable on data=journal mode.

--
Regards
PK