Shell tab-completion and other helpful command-line tricks

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 09:55:02 UTC 2009

2009/1/30 Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca>:
> Jonas Norlander wrote:
>
>> CTRL+A move to beginning of line.
>
> I'd completely forgotten that I used to do that, because HOME usually does
> the job, now
>> CTRL+E move to end of line.
>
> END
>
>> ALT+F move forward a word.
>
> CTRL-RIGHT (except I buggered that by following somebody else's advice, and
> haven't got around to fixing it, so it's nice to see that ALT-F and ALT-B
> still work)
>
>> ALT+B move back a word.
>
> CTRL-LEFT
>
>> CTRL+L clear screen.
>> CTRL+k remove the text from the cursor to the end of the line.
>
> hmmm.  Never did know that one...
>
>> CTRL+X BACKSPACE remove text from the cursor to the beginning of the line.
>
> ctrl-U
>
>> ALT+D delete a word forward.
>> ALT+BACKSPACE delete a word backwards.
>
> Ctrl-W
>
> As, always with Linux, there's more than one way to do anything :-)

I think it's something difference with ctrl-u and ctrl-w and checking
the manual gives that the deleted text is saved to the "kill-ring".
Copied from the manual:

backward-kill-line (C-x Rubout)
              Kill backward to the beginning of the line.
unix-line-discard (C-u)
              Kill backward from point to the beginning of the line.
The killed text is saved on the kill-ring.
backward-kill-word (M-Rubout)
              Kill the word behind point.  Word boundaries are the
same as those used by backward-word.
unix-word-rubout (C-w)
              Kill the word behind point, using white space as a word
boundary.  The killed text is saved on the kill-ring.

Could be useful if one learn how to use it. Sometimes i think there is
to many ways to do one thing in Linux but on the other hand thats
probably  what make its so fascinating.

/ Jonas