9.04: is KDE 4.2 ever making it to 8.10?

Amila Liyanaarachchi amila.uoc at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 01:53:45 UTC 2009

Guys,

I followed the below steps to get it done,

<Quote from http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2 >

The updated packages for Kubuntu 8.10 are located in the Kubuntu
Experimental Software Personal Package Archive (PPA) repository. To
update to KDE 4.2, please follow these instructions:

 1. Remove the koffice-data-kde4 package if you have it installed. The
    current koffice2 packages in the kubuntu-members-kde4 PPA are
    incompatible with the KDE 4.2 packages since they try to install
    icons to the same locations.
 2. Follow the Kubuntu Repository Guide
    <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Kubuntu> to enable
    /Recommended Updates/ and add the following to your 'Third-Party
    Software' tab:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-experimental/ubuntu intrepid main
 3. You can add the package signing key with this command:
    gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 493B3065 && gpg
    --export -a 493B3065 | sudo apt-key add -
 4. Old Plasma packages are not compatible with KDE 4.2, you should
    uninstall any plasmoids.
 5. You can now update any existing KDE 4 installation to the most
    recent version using the Adept Updater tool in your system tray.
 6. Now log out and press Alt + E to restart X. When you log in you
    will have KDE 4.2. Enjoy.

      <unquote>

During the installation adept prompted an error message saying some
thing like "changes can't be committed ..."
Then I press "OK" which was the only available option and Adept stop
the installation at the point saying "Update Complete".

Then I restarted, I don't have any GUI anymore :(
It try to start X, then end up saying "unable to find directory ...."

Is there anyway that I can fix this problem. Already tried "sudo
apt-get -f install" no success.
Do I have to reinstall the whole thing again ??

Second question is, after adding the "deb
http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-experimental/ubuntu intrepid main" to
third party SW, adept started downloading the updates. Is there a way
which I can choose some updates instead of downloading everything. In
my case I noticed that adept is downloading MySql server which I
didn't have in my system and I don't want to have.

Appreciate any help.