9.04: is KDE 4.2 ever making it to 8.10?

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Fri Jan 30 01:10:12 UTC 2009

Billie Erin Walsh wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>>
>> Far more interesting is the question of whether 9.04 is ever going to
>> have 4.2 - it's supposed to, but I'm not sure it'll make it in the end.
>
> The answer is "Yes".
>
> <quote from kde.org>
>
> *KDE 4.2.0 released <http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.2/index.php>*
> On 27th January 2009, KDE 4.2.0 was released by the KDE community. KDE
> 4.2 is the next major release in the KDE 4 series.
>
> <unquote>

That is, as it says, a quote from KDE.org, and completely unrelated to what
Kubuntu is doing.

> <quote from kubuntu.com"
>
>     KDE 4.2 Released <http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2>
>
> Submitted on Tue, 2009-01-27
>
> KDE 4.2 has been released. Users of our development Jaunty version can
> do a full upgrade to get the latest packages. Packages for 8.10
> (Intrepid) are in the kubuntu-experimental PPA.
>
> <unquote>
>
> Why they put the new KDE in PPA is beyond me but they did. Just because
> it's there instead of somewhere else doesn't mean it's not going to
> "make it to 8.10".

Yes, it does.  It's in the PPA _specifically_ because it will NEVER be part
of an official 8.10 release.  That's what PPAs are for.

> It _IS_ the KDE 4.2 release that's there. It's not a
> beta or an rc.

LOL.  Like 4.1 wasn't....

> KDE 4.2 is the default in 9.04.

But is it?  Are you promising me that huge and significant parts of the KDE
arsenal won't still be at 4.1 (or worse)?  As kde-pim was not at 4.1 when
8.10 was released?  I doubt you can make that promise.