9.04: is KDE 4.2 ever making it to 8.10?

Billie Erin Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Fri Jan 30 00:50:09 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
>

>> I haven't kept the whole thread so I can't quote the OP from local
>> directories. However, in answer to part of their question, "is KDE 4.2
>> ever making it to 8.10":
>>
>> <Quote from http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2 >
>>
>> The updated packages for Kubuntu 8.10 are located in the Kubuntu
>> Experimental Software Personal Package Archive (PPA) repository. To
>> update to KDE 4.2, please follow these instructions:

>> The answer is "Yes."
>>

> The answer is absolutely NO.  A PPA is explicitly NOT release software, and
> Kubuntu 8.10 is never going to have KDE 4.2.  It just barely manages to have
> 4.1.4.
>
> Far more interesting is the question of whether 9.04 is ever going to have
> 4.2 - it's supposed to, but I'm not sure it'll make it in the end.

The answer is "Yes".

<quote from kde.org>

    Latest Announcements

*KDE 4.2.0 released <http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.2/index.php>*
On 27th January 2009, KDE 4.2.0 was released by the KDE community. KDE
4.2 is the next major release in the KDE 4 series.

<unquote>

<quote from kubuntu.com"

    KDE 4.2 Released <http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2>

Submitted on Tue, 2009-01-27

KDE 4.2 has been released. Users of our development Jaunty version can
do a full upgrade to get the latest packages. Packages for 8.10
(Intrepid) are in the kubuntu-experimental PPA.

<unquote>

Why they put the new KDE in PPA is beyond me but they did. Just because
it's there instead of somewhere else doesn't mean it's not going to
"make it to 8.10". It _IS_ the KDE 4.2 release that's there. It's not a
beta or an rc.

KDE 4.2 is the default in 9.04.