9.04: is KDE 4.2 ever making it to 8.10?

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Fri Jan 30 00:06:05 UTC 2009

Rolf Kutz wrote:

>>> True, but the ppa versions are really beta.  I'm using them too in a
>>> separate
>>> partition and they rock!  This is what KDE 4.0 should have been -sweet,
>>> pretty, robust and It Just Works.
>
> Without 4.0 there would be no 4.2 right now.

Fine,  but even 4.1 should never have been an Ubuntu default.

> 4.0 was API-stable and that was written all over
> them.

I'm sure _KDE_ was. Unfortunately around 80% of the features I'm used to in
3.5 _applications_ either don't work at all or are broken badly in 4.1,
When that means that even trying to use standard keyboard shortcuts in major
apps like Konqueror or Kate don't work, that's pretty pathetic.

It took until two weeks ago to finally get KNode fixed so that it didn't blow
up every time you tried to killfile someone, and didn't need you to manually
add newlines to your own messages.