Kubuntu 8.10 does not recognise external HD with NTFS and FAT32 partitions.

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 19:43:53 UTC 2009

Hello Arnaud and everybody else

> My Kubuntu 8.10 mounts my external HD which is NTFS
> without any issue

It is good to know that Kubuntu 8.10 can - in principle-  mount and
access a NTFS formatted external HD. However, in my case there must be
still some missing link disabling me to mount mine.

I took a more thorough look in the package 'MountManager 0.2.4.'.
There, I found this info:

Device: UUID=0834CB7534CB63F2
Mount point: Unknown
File system: ntfs
Dump flag: 0
Fsck value: 0

There is only one device here with an NTFS file system: the external
HD I am talking about. This implies that 'Mount Manager' can identify
it. But the 'mount point' is 'unknown'. Is there a way to manually
establish some 'mount point' without damaging the data on the ext. HD?
If not, is there a way to make it accessible again by formatting it,
after making a data backup via the Windows partition? Is there any
other clue to solve the problem?

Thx. for your feedback.

Bas.

--