Upgrade KDE to 4.2

Billie Erin Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Thu Jan 29 03:48:00 GMT 2009

Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
> Amila Liyanaarachchi wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm a Kubuntu beginner, and curious to have KDE 4.2.
>> I tried the following to get it updated, but end up with the below
>> error. Can someone tell me what has went wrong here?
>> Added the line "deb
>> http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-experimental/ubuntu intrepid main" to
>> third party software list in apt.
>> gave the command "sudo apt-get install kde-nightly" which I found from
>> some site.
>> then I end up with the below error message,
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
>> requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
>> distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
>> or been moved out of Incoming.
>> Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
>> the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
>> that package should be filed.
>> The following information may help to resolve the situation:
>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>  kde-nightly: Depends: kde-nightly-kdebase but it is not going to be installed
>> E: Broken packages
>> Regards,
>> Amila
> Did you put in the key?
> When I did this last night in Software Services and then added the key
> Software Services refreshed and an icon popped up in my system tray
> telling me I had updates. Adept Update Manager did everything after that.
Should have added:

<Quote from http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2 >

The updated packages for Kubuntu 8.10 are located in the Kubuntu
Experimental Software Personal Package Archive (PPA) repository. To
update to KDE 4.2, please follow these instructions:

   1. Remove the koffice-data-kde4 package if you have it installed. The
      current koffice2 packages in the kubuntu-members-kde4 PPA are
      incompatible with the KDE 4.2 packages since they try to install
      icons to the same locations.
   2. Follow the Kubuntu Repository Guide
      <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Kubuntu> to enable
      /Recommended Updates/ and add the following to your 'Third-Party
      Software' tab:
      deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-experimental/ubuntu intrepid main
   3. You can add the package signing key with this command:
      gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 493B3065 && gpg
      --export -a 493B3065 | sudo apt-key add -
   4. Old Plasma packages are not compatible with KDE 4.2, you should
      uninstall any plasmoids.
   5. You can now update any existing KDE 4 installation to the most
      recent version using the Adept Updater tool in your system tray.
   6. Now log out and press Alt + E to restart X. When you log in you
      will have KDE 4.2. Enjoy.