Kubuntu 8.10 does not recognise external HD with NTFS and FAT32 partitions.

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 18:27:36 UTC 2009

Dear everybody

At present, I am trying to access and mount from Kubuntu 8.10 an
external HD with two partitions:
* an NTFS partition of 365 GB (free: 157 GB)
* a FAT-32 partition of 100 GB (free: 80 GB).
The device has a USB 2.0 interface cable which I plugged in in a USB
drive. However, I did not yet manage to identify the device in any way
I could think about. So far, I fruitlessly tried it via Dolphin,
Konqueror,the 'new devices widget', Mount Manager, Disk Manager and
the terminal. In a recent thread with a similar subject, I did not
find any key for the problem I am dealing with.

On the other hand, the Windows XP partition does recognise both
partitions of the device. The same applies for the MacOS partition on
another PC. Does anybody have a clue what I could do to access this
external HD from Kubuntu 8.10?

I really would appreciate your help. Respectfully yours,

Bas.

--
Viaconsensus
BasRoufs at gmail.com