How do I install a .bin. I downloaded a Java plugin needed to run some tests by the isp.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 29 02:08:04 UTC 2009

> So, gently and non-destructively do this instead.
> In a terminal window just type: java  -version

steven at Studio25:~$ java -version
java version "1.5.0"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.2.4 (Ubuntu 4.2.4-1ubuntu3)

steven at Studio25:~$

> Now, the crust of the biscuit. In order to be doing whatever requires
> you to be using Java, does it require you to also be using a browser,
> like Firefox and that you need Java for that??

I haven't noticed and don't remember.

> "How to install Java into Firefox". There are a zillion links if you
> just google just using `ubuntu firefox java` in your search.

As you can see, I have Java installed.  I usually use Konqueror anymore
though.  I am trying to get dependent on using all Kubuntu and KDE packages.

> If not, and you need an upgrade, that bin file will walk all over what
> you already have nicely and safely installed for you. Me, I use the bin
> files if I must absolutely do so, as a lot of my work is in java, but
> check out my linuxcounter user# ...I've done this a bunch before and
> have had my share of troubles doing so. What you are about to do is not
> safe AT ALL for a newbie.

I did not realize the danger.  I just have difficulty downloading and
installing .bins that are offered on the web, as opposed to .bins that are
included in the package manager.  Once in a while there is a package offered
that is highly recommended by a poster, that has to be downloaded and
installed.  When it does not install using what kubuntu has provided, I still
want to use the package if it can safely be installed.  Nonetheless it is
never that crucial.  I can easily live without all the bells and whistles.

As you probably know, I am totally alone in my life and unable to change that
circumstance, so when I see something like the ability to play, competing
with others over the net, an interesting thing like Full Tilt Poker, it would
be entertaining to be able to do that.  And since it is free, I risk nothing
in the process.  I have lived almost 66 years without it, so I won't suffer
not being able to play.  I do know someone who plays it free all the time.
That is what he likes to talk about when we communicate.

You guys have always been so kind to me, I will take your advice on this
matter and let it go.  Thanks my friend.  No need to open a kettle of worms
for others.

> Avoid at all costs until you get some sort of basic education in Linux,
> which is on you to do. If you haven't seen tab completion on the command
> line, I highly suggest joining a local LUG (Linux User Group) and if
> there isn't one, start one.

I have tried that.  There are more than one here in Dayton, but I no longer
have transportation or the finances to go the distance required.  I think I
would like that more than about anything.  I crave the thought.

My home/art studio is too filled with equipment and stuff to be able to hold a
group meeting here, so I don't know how I could instigate one.  I am
basically an old shut-in.  I get out to shop once a month, but that is an
inconvenience to the one who helps me, so I don't use that benefit for other
than life threatening or essential needs like getting food and medicine.

You are not aware of the progress I am making recently; I am having a lot of
fun.  I hope to do everything I can do using a shell within the next year.  I
really think at that point it will be easier to learn.

The thought of having someone sitting along side who is able to talk about a
problem while it is happening sounds just delicious, though.  Oh well, I can
not complain, I still love my life with all its problems, and I especially
love all of you who have been so kind this past several months.

Cordially and as always thanks,

Steven