No really I need help!; Java kills sound

Constantinos Maltezos pandarsson at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 29 00:37:02 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 28 January 2009 1:48:14 pm Knapp wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello, when I run anything Java my sounds stops working (Still works
> > in Java though) for other programs and xine will not start up. Any
> > ideas about how to fix this?
> > Thanks all!
> > --
> > Douglas E Knapp

Do you have dmix enabled in alsa?  You see, but for some Creative sound cards
that have hardware mixers, alsa (the Linux sound architecture) doesn't by
default mix audio - basically meaning that sounds from different programs not
using a software mixer (like aRts provides for KDE3) cannot play at once.
There is a software mixer for alsa called dmix and it works great in my
experience (though my current computer has a SoundBlaster with a hardware
mixer), but it's usually not enabled by default.  Sadly, there's no way that I
know of to change that with a GUI, so if you haven't enabled it on your
machine, you'll have to copy or edit a config file.  If I recall correctly,
doing this on Kubuntu was rather simple, because they have a sample alsa
config file somewhere in the alsa package (somewhere among the docs for some
reason) that you can copy to /etc.  I think the name of the file is
alsa.conf.example and you need to rename it to alsa.conf when you copy it with
sudo.  That file worked for me without editing, so I hope it does for you,
too.

I hope I hit the mark here and am not barking up the wrong tree.