Is there some trick installing a .exe file using Wine?

Billie Erin Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Wed Jan 28 23:32:34 UTC 2009

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 16:27 -0500, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>
>> Steven Vollom wrote:
>>
>>> steven at Studio25:~/.wine/drive_c$ >wine ~/Desktop/FullTiltSetup.exe
>>> bash: /home/steven/Desktop/FullTiltSetup.exe: Permission denied
>>>
>> You have a typo.  Remove the > to get:
>>
>> wine ~/Desktop/FullTiltSetup.exe
>>
>> However, wine may not fully support the program.
>>

> No one has asked if the program .exe file will run at all within the
> wine install he has. If the program was created for Windows Vista,
> probably not. Ric

I've mentioned a couple times that not _everything_ from the windows
world will run in WINE. A lot of stuff will and that's cool. Some stuff
only partially works with WINE. Those are probably the most frustrating
because it _ALMOST_ works.

I'm with Ric. If I install and it won't work I just move on. If it's a
mission critical something I keep a windows machine running. [ 99% of
the time it just sits in the corner running BOINC/SETI to keep it busy ]

For _almost_ everything you want to do there _IS_ a Linux counterpart.
Want to play poker online there is a Texas Hold'em  available through
the repos. I can't remember the name right off [ kpokerth or something ]
but it should show up if you put "poker" in the synaptic search box. You
can play either online or not. I think the computer cheats if your not
online playing against real people. *<]:oD

Pretty much the only "mission critical" piece of software I use that
won't run in WINE is Microsoft Streets and Trips and I haven't found a
descent Linux replacement for. I'm sure others may have others.