Is there some trick -- Yes! Get the path right.

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 22:56:05 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 14:03 -0500, Steven Vollom wrote:
> On Thursday 22 January 2009 10:31:53 am Donn wrote:
>
> > Steven, I spent a lot of time doing those diagrams for you. Lots of other
> > people are also repeating themselves often. Please *take care* to type
> > carefully, follow the few simple rules (like knowing where you are) and you
> > should be 90% of the way to Linux bliss.
> I am sorry.  I have so much that I am not sure of yet while working, I don't
> always check back to those pages.  It takes a while for me to remember things
> anymore.  In fact just remembering the things you sent is not a front lobe
> event yet.  I am getting better, though.  In a very short time, you can get a
> wall full of postits when you have my memory problem.  So each time you
> finish doing something, you have to read the entire wall and make a dicision
> what is most important to do next.  Pretty soon you are just reading the wall
> with no time to accomplish anything.  I am finding that the things I
> concentrate on over and over become anchored memory after a while.  So I just
> keep repeating the process until something holds.  If I offend you or make
> you think I haven't taken your hard work serious, it is not true.  I fear
> alsheimers anymore because the effort to hold a memory seems to be getting
> more difficult all the time.  But I am not giving up.  If you can forgive me,
> I promise to be as careful in referring back as properly as I am able.
> Thanks again for the wonderful help.  If you can avoid it don't age; it is
> not all it is cracked up to be, excepting the alternative.  Believe it or
> not, I am making great progress right now.

It might be better and far less frustrating to use the things that you
can use. Wine has been a noble effort for years and years, There is
still much it -cannot- do. You, being new, do not know that. Me, if I
tried to use wine on some Windows .exe file and it didn't work the first
time, I'd give up and delete it. People cheered madly when it opened the
Windows clock.exe and displayed the time. Best to just forget it.
There's probably some scam involved in that poker thing anyway where the
first taste is for free. If it makes your head hurt, delete it.

Look for all the opportunities to install tested and working software
that has been pre-packaged by a bunch of dedicated hardworking people.
Because of them, there's games out the whazoo available to you, that are
better than the ones usually installed to Windows and you need only
mouse click to get at 'em. Go with the force Luke. Linux ain't and never
will be Windows or a Mac.

So, just go with the doable, until you get someone to help you learn
Linux by your side. It's really the only way in your situation. I had
scores of people help me. In return I have done likewise, paying my debt
forward to the next guy. Plus, you make new friends like that. People
you never knew existed who might be living in your own block.

Back in the early 70's we met in homes and when the crowd got too large,
public libraries. Our group grew to 150 members strong in a couple of
years. What a riot! That was back in the Apple][ days in Texas next to
the NASA Johnston Space Center. Plus, socializing is a great way to keep
the brain elastic, if you're concerned about the onset of memory loss.
I'm hitting 60 and, without socializing, I could see how it would affect
my own mind which I want to hang onto! Peace, Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987