fvwm unable to initialize in Kubuntu 8.10...

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 18:54:52 UTC 2009

2009/1/28 kk <karlok at fastmail.fm>:
> Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
>> Could somebody give me a clue how to start an fvwm session in Kubuntu???
>>
> Looking at the startx man page, I would guess that "startx fvwm" should
> work.
>
> Karl

startx and xinit uses your ~/.xinitrc to start whatever programs you
want to start with Xorg. I have this to start fluxbox, you can put
whatever programs you want to start there, remember that all but the
last need to run in the background.
~$ cat .xinitrc
fbdesk &
xterm  -g 80x40+40+40 &
startfluxbox
# End of file

I have made a special layout in xorg.conf that i use when I want to
play games. I'm can run this layout with this command "startx -- :1
-layout GameLayout &" from konsole in my KDE session and it will start
a new xsession on the next virtual console using whatever i have in
~/.xinitrc and in my case the Fluxbox Window Manager and xterm.

I don't run FVWM so I cant help what command to run it with but
looking in aptitude it looks like fvwm-crystal is what you want:
"FVWM-crystal creates an easy to use desktop environment using fvwm2
as its window manager and main core". Installing it you should be able
to select it in KDM when logging in.

/ Jonas