Grousing - feel free to ignore

Art Alexion art.alexion at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 19:38:40 UTC 2009

On Monday 26 January 2009 5:21:56 pm Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
> Art Alexion wrote:
> > 4.2 (a/k/a 4.1.96) in the PPA seems significanly more stable and
> > usable than the release 4.0-4.1. I highly recommend it.
> >

> > On 1/26/09, Billie Erin Walsh <bilwalsh at swbell.net> wrote:
> >

> >> Well........it looks like I'm using 8.10/4.x beginning today. I've had
> >> ongoing issues with the video settings in 8.04/3.x for some time and it
> >> blew up again. I already had 8.10/4.x installed and all my major files
> >> were copied over to it so.....................
> >>
> >> I can't say I'm particularly happy with the situation
> >> but.................
> >>
> >> Asi es la vida.
> >>

> I just hadn't really planned on a full migration just yet. I was
> thinking by 9.10. 4.1 is usable even with the things I'm not so crazy
> about. I guess the signature says it all.
>
> 4.2 is due out any time so I think I will just leave well enough alone
> till then. It should be in the repos in a few days. If not, then 9.04 is
> just around the corner. I can live with it at least that long.

Well, I take back my original statement anyway.  Everything in 4.2 works
better and is more stable than 4.1... except the stuff I use the most...
quick launch which seems unconfigurable[1], and kmail which constantly
crashes.

[1] yeah, you can write your own .desktop files, but unlike older versions,
you can't configure auto-additon by popularity or drag and drop icons.