Asus EEEpc 1000

iodine at runbox.no iodine at runbox.no
Tue Jan 27 02:47:36 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:
> David McGlone wrote:

>>> I have news for you - news from 2007 that is:
>>> <http://www.heise-online.co.uk/security/news/87889>
>>>
>>> WEP encryption can be cracked in under a minute. And I couldn't find
>>>
>>> anything about the necessity of PS3's. From the original paper:
>>>
>>> Could it be you meant WPA instead of WEP?
>> Probably. I heard something about someone cracking one or the other with
>> 300 PS3's. I didn't delve into it, but heard about it in passing
>> somewhere.
>
> So, nobody's contradicting my off-the-top-of-my-head numbers.  If you need
> 300 PS3s to crack WPA, that's actually more difficult than I would have
> expected.  I was counting on about 6 hours with a single machine.

It depends on the password. The longer the password, the longer it
will take to crack it. I'm not sure if 300 PS3s is sufficient to
crack it in a meaningful time or not. But note that this flaw in
WPA ONLY affects TKIP(RC4) encryption. Once you move to AES
encryption, this attack do not work anymore.

--
Odd