Using Konsole, how do I get my computer to recognize my new Card Reader.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 27 00:53:13 UTC 2009

> This may be a stupid question, but have you tried to stick in a memory
> card. Mine doesn't show up until a memory card is inserted. As soon as
> the card is inserted it pops in.

Yes.  My computer has been problematic for the 3 years I have owned it.  It
was used when I got it, and not working.

I am pretty sure that there is a hardware issue that doesn't show up very
often, but for some reason, my computer does not always react the way a
normal Kubuntu OS does.  I am constantly fixing similar problems where I am
not doing any changes when they happen, so there is nothing I am doing where
the cause might be suggested.

When I put the card in the first time, nothing happened at all.  /root/media
did not even show it as a part of the system.  That is where I go to find my
partitions when something has gone wrong with the system that I relate to the
previous paragraph.

Not being there and having a light showing on the reader, I went to Systems
Settings to the Advanced Tab and then to Disk&Filesystems.  The GUI that
shows my partitions and drives is there.  It showed there, so I knew the
computer recognized it.  I then went through the steps mentioned in the
previous email to get it functioning.

There have been a lot of people helping me in the List, so I only showed the
content of the email to show them the progress they are responsible for, in
my being able to start fixing my own problems.  It was done in gratitude, not
to show off.  Still, I am most interested in becoming capable using the
shell.  That is why I made this post.  I can't seem to keep enough on the
front lobe to solve these problems yet, and still need some help.  I am
probably the most incapable student ever, but I will never stop trying until
I conquor the beast.

Thanks for the inquiry.

Steven