Can't get WEP to accept KEY

David McGlone d.mcglone at att.net
Mon Jan 26 21:39:21 UTC 2009

On Monday 26 January 2009 2:29:50 pm Jim wrote:

> I have the same setup and it's not making any difference,
> knetworkManager is even seeing /etc/network/interfaces.
<quote>
The only thing in /etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

What would I put in file to indicate WEP key ?
</quote>

This is what you said you had in your file first. Now what does your file look
like now?

after you add everything to the file, you need to quit knetworkmanager (it is
BROKEN) and issue the command ifup eth0 or whatever you named the iface.

here is an example of my interfaces file:

# The primary network interface
#auto eth0
#iface eth0 inet static
#       address ###.###.#.#
#       netmask 255.255.255.0
#       network ###.###.#.#
#       broadcast ###.###.#.###
#       gateway ###.###.#.#
#       # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if
installed
#       dns-nameservers ###.###.#.#
#       dns-search dmcghome

iface wlan0 inet static
address ###.###.#.#
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway ###.###.#.#
wireless-essid dmcghome

replace the "#"s with your info that fits your computer.

I commented out all the eth0 lines because I am using wireless.

Also, I am not using WEP so "wireless-key" is missing, but if you want to use
WEP then just add the line: wireless-key ########## under the wireless-essid
line then issue the command ifup wlan0 or whatever you name your iface or
reboot your computer and it will connect automatically.

--
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net