Asus EEEpc 1000

Billie Erin Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Mon Jan 26 15:33:20 UTC 2009

Jim wrote:
> Derek Broughton wrote:

>>> I just gave up  and and installed eeeUbuntu and removed Gnome and
>>> installed KDE, RaLink Wireless works fine in gnome but not KDE,
>>>

>> In which case I'd just install nm-applet (the gnome front-end for Network
>> manager) or wicd or anything else that works, but...
>>

>>> kdenetwork won't let me enter a WEP key, If I check "Use Wireless
>>> Security" and click on "Expert setting" button it won't go any further
>>> to allow me to enter a WEP key.
>>>

>> If you're only going to use WEP, then why even bother?  WEP is approximately
>> equivalent to no security at all...
>>

> So is wap and the other ones.

Locks, passwords, etc. just keep honest people honest. If you want total
computer security just turn it off, unplug it, and mash it with a _BIG_
hammer. Effective but not very useful. Otherwise, just get over it.
Remember, just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get
you.

I left Gnome on my Eeebuntu 2.0. Not because I'm particularly fond of it
but because it worked-right-out-of-the-box. Eeebuntu is specially
optimized for the Eee. I thought about _adding_ KDE but haven't decided
yet. I only have 12gig total "drive" space so ....

My Gateway, Kubuntu 8.04/3.5.x /64, has no problem with connecting to
"secure" networks. When I tell it to connect to a "secure" network
KnetworkManage pops open a little box asking for the WEP key. Enter it
and connected. I would expect it should act the same way on the Eee.
Maybe some little whatsit got left out during the KDE install.