Changing the default icon in the System Tray

Alan Dacey GrokIt at ajinfosearch.com
Sun Jan 25 18:01:50 UTC 2009

Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running Kubuntu 8.04.2 with KDE 3.5.10.
>
> I would like to change the defaul icon for the KBluetooth daemon.
>
> Is it possible? If yes - how?
>
> Thanks!

The default icon that you are talking about lives in /usr/share/icons/<your
theme>/<size>/apps/  It is probably named kbluetooth.png or something starting
with kb.  Look in the folder for the icon and get the name that way.

The hard way would be to get an icon that you like and replace the default with
it, after BACKING UP what you are about to replace.  You should do it for every
size there is, usually 16x16, 22x22, 32x32, 4848, 64x64 & 128x128, for
consistency.  First make an icon (I use Gimp) from a picture and save it as a
.png file in every size that you have in your <size> folders.  Then copy it as
the default file name into the correct folder.

As an example, I use an icon theme I got from the KDE look website named
"KDE_Crystal_Diamond_2.8_Ubuntu_Mod".  It had the Ubuntu ring as the Kmenu icon
so I replaced the icons with the real Kmenu icon like this from the command line:

sudo mv /home/alan/Desktop/Kmenu48.png
/usr/share/icons/KDE_Crystal_Diamond_2.8_Ubuntu_Mod/48x48/apps/kmenu.png

Now I have the blue and white K like KDE should have.

I am sure there is an easier way, but I didn't even look for one since this
worked just fine.

Alan

--
"The second most satisfying thing in life is to totally understand a complicated
concept.  If you are very lucky you may attain *the* most satisfying thing in