Asus EEEpc 1000

Billie Erin Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Sat Jan 24 19:36:39 UTC 2009

Jim wrote:
> Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
>> Jim wrote:

>>> Can you select desktop during install or after install ?
>>> How would you do it.
>>>

>> Install Eeebuntu. Open Synaptic. Install KDE.
>>
>> On boot you should be able to choose the desktop manager. I believe
>> default is the last used so once your into KDE and shut down it should
>> be the default desktop.
>>
>> I'm sure if I missed something someone else will answer.
>>

> Thanks for the info, but I don't want to go back to that early of a
> Kubuntu version.
> Hopefully someone  may make a eeebuntu-9.04.
> I understand kernel-2.6.28-5.12 has the wireless driver I need for my
> eeePC 1000  Ralink Rt2790 card.

I don't know about the 1000 but Eeebuntu worked right-out-of-the-box on
my 900. It's a specially optimized version for the EeePC. I'm sure
Eeebuntu 9.04 will be out about the time Ubuntu 9.04 is if you want to
wait a couple months. Otherwise I would install the Eeebuntu version
available and see if it works. Probably will. YMMV
--
- -
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.