Asus EEEpc 1000

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Sat Jan 24 17:41:46 UTC 2009

Tycho Andersen wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Jim <mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Does anyone have the latest version of Kubuntu install on a Asus EEEpc
>> 1000, I'm mainly concerned about the
>> Ralink RT2970 Wireless card.
>> Does the Wireless have a driver for it ?
>
> I've had Easy Peasy (formerly Ubuntu-EEE) running on my EEE1000 since
> August, and it works like a dream. You can get it here:
> http://www.geteasypeasy.com/
>
> Sadly, though, this is a Gnome based desktop. It is also stuck in the
> land of 8.04. However, there's a guy who compiles a kernel
> specifically for the EEE, you might be able to use his kernel packages
> (which would have the wireless drivers and other optimizations) with
> Kubuntu. I haven't tried it, but in theory it works ;-)

Kubuntu/Gnome are not tied to specific kernels.  I kept a hardy kernel on
this Intrepid box until yesterday, because all of the Intrepid kernels have
had some problems for me (the current one still occasionally breaks the e100
driver, but infrequently enough not to worry me).

So, there's no real reason you can't install the up-to-date KDE or Gnome
desktops and still keep the old kernel (though I haven't tried it on an EEE)
and there's equally no reason why you shouldn't be able to install kubuntu-
desktop on a system that is already running Gnome.