Free Downtown Dayton Internet service.

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Thu Jan 22 20:59:14 UTC 2009

Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for this, the router imho strictly does NOT have to act as a bridge.

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_bridge) defines
wireless bridge as: "a hardware component used to connect two or more
network segments (LANs or parts of a LAN) which are physically and
logically (by protocol) separated."

This is what we have here.  The full configuration works like this:

A<->B<->C<->D

A-City wired router
B-City wireless router
C-Steven's wireless bridge client
D-Steven's wired card

A-B is one network segment, and C-D is another.  The bridge connects the
two.  Steven needs to procure a device C that can act as the client side
of the bridge (the server side of the bridge is an ordinary wireless
router).

> So the router needs to route from wirless to wired and vice versa, not
> to bridge anything.

The bridge is between the two segments, A-B and C-D.

Matt Flaschen