Free Downtown Dayton Internet service.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jan 22 19:02:16 UTC 2009

On Thursday 22 January 2009, Billie Walsh wrote:
>On 01/22/2009 Eberhard Roloff wrote:
>>  I am using such a setup over here in germany and the WLan-Provider
>>  delivered my linksys wrt 54 router, which they beefed up with a
>>  special firmware for the prupose.
>
>Probably something like the DD-WRT firmware upgrade [
>http://www.dd-wrt.com/ ].  We usually buy a Linksys wireless router and
>install the new software. [ After the upgrade don't try to access with
>IE - it won't work *<]:o)  ]
>
>As I recall you have to reset the router to act as a client with the new
>software to act as needed.

That could also be called 'gateway' mode.

>To see what routers are supported and what software to use you can go to
>
>http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices
>
>Some D-Link routers can also be upgraded.

I believe some 'Buffalo's can be used also.  And of course there is the x86
version of this software, somewhat fawncier than the ARM version, which is
what I run on an old slow pc with 3 nics in it, but no drives.  None. It
boots from a cf card in an adapter on the end of an ide cable, using about 11
megs of the 265 meg cf card.  A 400mhz AMD K6-III cpu and 384 megs of ram in
it (64 is plenty), configure it and forget it, 20,000 times more dependable
than verizons DSL has been of late.  It has NEVER crashed.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)