Free Downtown Dayton Internet service.

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Thu Jan 22 14:38:37 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:

> Typically you're charged connection fees (or not) by the people actually
> providing the wifi signal.  If they charge (and most do) it's usually by
> using a "Hotspot" system, which in various ways meters your usage and
> bills you.

Actually, I probably shouldn't have said "most do" - in Canada, they're very
mercenary, and most do.  I've heard that in many other countries, people
actually see it as a way to attract business.  The sites often still do use
a Hotspot system to meter usage, but there is often not an actual payment
required (other than to buy a coffee, or a burger, or whatever they're trying
to attract business for).