Kubuntu 8.10 desktop - how to get back the panel at the bottom of the screen?

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Thu Jan 22 13:36:31 UTC 2009

Bas Roufs wrote:

> Because of some mistake I cannot reconstruct any more, I lost the
> panel at my desktop:

Don't blame yourself - I've lost the panel numerous times through actions
that _shouldn't_ have that effect.  One cause was clicking on an odd "cashew"
icon in the system tray.  It turned out to be ksystraycmd - which is used as
a wrapper around menu items for which you specify "place in system tray".
Unfortunately, clicking on "exit", there, rather than exiting ksystraycmd
kills your whole panel.

Anyway, if you haven't done anything like logging off since losing the panel,
just ctrl-alt-backspace to kill X and it will come back when you log in
again  (ie, you want to kill your current session, without _saving_ the
session).

> The absence of the panel at the bottom makes working at the desktop
> quite complicated .... So I would highly appreciate your (short)
> answer. Thanks!

Adding a panel _does_ work - you just have to rebuild everything in it -
that is, add all the widgets including the Menu (application launcher),
system tray, and task manager.