Kubuntu 8.10 desktop - how to get back the panel at the bottom of the screen?

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Thu Jan 22 07:21:59 UTC 2009

Bas Roufs wrote:

> The absence of the panel at the bottom makes working at the desktop
> quite complicated .... So I would highly appreciate your (short)
> answer. Thanks!

Hi Bas,
there probably is a smarter way to do it.
If there is none, I do it like this:

-open a terminal
-cp .kde/ .kde.org
-cp .kde4/ .kde4.org

This copies your existing kde configuration to .org suffixes. This is
done, just in case that you will miss important things after the next step.
In my experinece, especially Kmail and Kontact data has a tendency to
get lost, when the configuration is simply deleted without having a
backup. ;-)

-rm .kde .kde4

This removes your existing kde configration. After login off and back
in, you will be back at the default Kubuntu Desktop where any
modifications that you made to KDE, are gone and your bottom panel
should be there, again.

Kind regards
Eberhard