How do I install a .bin. I downloaded a Java plugin needed to run some tests by the isp.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 22 03:45:54 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 5:03:53 pm Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> chmod a+x /home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin

Dear Matt,

If you are not yet aware, I got an easy resolution to the problem from a man named John.  As a result, I found that the package was already installed in my computer.  I have wasted so many peoples time, I am heartbroken.

An ISP suggested I did not have the appropriate package and needed it before they could continue to help me, and directed me to a download site and the file in question.  I have been struggling ever since.  Nonetheless, it did not occur to me to see if it was already in my computer, because I was stopped from continued service for not having it.

I am dedicated to learn the process now anyway, so that the time I have taken from the list will not be a complete waste, and so that I will know how to avoid repeating the problem in the future when the skill is needed.  If you don't want to continue to help, I don't blame you, but this time I cut and pasted your input and still did not solve the problem.  Here is the result:

steven at Studio25:~/Desktop$ chmod a+x /home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin
chmod: cannot access `/home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin': No such file or directory
steven at Studio25:~/Desktop$

With multiple helps from others, I keep getting this same result.  Have I provided faulty data?

Steven