Free Downtown Dayton Internet service.

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Wed Jan 21 22:01:40 GMT 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:
>> Steven, this is off-topic.
>
> I don't see anything on the box that would indicate that it has bridge
> capabilities.  It is a D-Link High Speed 802.11G Wireless 108Mbps Router.
> AirPlusXtremeG

Is it a DI624 (one of those listed at
http://support.dlink.com/products/revision.asp?productId=DI-624)?
Looking at the manual for one of the models
(ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/di624/Manual/DI-624_manual_06292005.zip) it
doesn't look like it's designed to be a bridge.  It may or many not be
possible to set it up for that using new firmware.

> Mine is twice as fast as the one you showed.

That won't apply if you're connecting to the city's network, as the
XtremeG is not standardized.

> My new computer has a Gigabit network internal.  Will it receive the signal
> from the city?

No.

> Do I need a PCI card with antenna to receive it?

You could get a PCI or USB wireless card, which means you wouldn't need
the router.

> My connection is the slowest DSL service now, surely the wireless connection
> from the city would be that fast, don't you think?

Not sure.

Matt Flaschen