How do I install a .bin. I downloaded a Java plugin needed to run some tests by the isp.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Jan 21 22:41:40 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 21 January 2009, Steven Vollom wrote:
>On Wednesday 21 January 2009 2:48:59 pm David McGlone wrote:
>>  Yes, this is true. I forgot to tell him to use kdesudo
>
>steven at Studio25:~$ chmod a+x jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
>chmod: cannot access `jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin': No such file or directory
>steven at Studio25:~$ chmod ./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin
>chmod: missing operand after `./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin'
>Try `chmod --help' for more information.
>steven at Studio25:~$ chmod a+x ./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin
>chmod: cannot access `./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin': No
> such file or directory
>steven at Studio25:~$ chmod a+x ./home/steven/Desktop jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
>chmod: cannot access `./home/steven/Desktop': No such file or directory
>chmod: cannot access `jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin': No such file or directory
>]steven at Studio25:~$ kdesudo sh
>passprompt
>

>kdesudo chmod a+x ./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
>kdesudo ./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
>
>I don't understand what happened here.  The last commands had the cursor at
>the far left of the konsole.  There was no steven at Studio25:~$

Was it asking for your password? kdesudo should have been doing that before it
allowed the rest of the command to run with root privileges.  I believe it
expects to get your user passwd to do that.

As far as the no steven etc above, Yes there is, that is the shell prompt
trying to tell you "who" you are and "where" you are in terms of the machines
name.   From a shell on this box:

[root at coyote File:Pm5544-768.png_files]#

It is telling me that I am root, that I'm logged into a machine named coyote,
and that the name of the directory I am currently cd'd to is
File:Pm5544-768.png_files  Yes, that is the name of that directory.

Conversely, I am logged into another of my machines, one I call goat because
it is the old, slow, sacrificial animal I try other distro's on, currently
with Kubuntu 8.04 LTS on it, and that prompt shows:

gene at goat:~$

which tells me I am logged in as gene, on a machine named goat, and the ~ says
I am currently in 'gene's home directory.  If I cd someplace else:

gene at goat:~$ cd /etc
gene at goat:/etc$

The prompt changes accordingly.

Hopefully this is beginning to make sense?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)