How do I install a .bin. I downloaded a Java plugin needed to run some tests by the isp.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Jan 21 22:21:32 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 21 January 2009, Steven Vollom wrote:
>On Wednesday 21 January 2009 2:17:03 pm Edmund Laugasson wrote:
>> sudo ./
>
>steven at Studio25:~$ chmod a+x jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
>chmod: cannot access `jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin': No such file or directory
>steven at Studio25:~$ chmod ./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin
                          ^
Every instance you are showing of the path here, is broken by the anchoring
period in front of the path.  So you are effectively forcing it to look
for /home/steven/home/steven/Desktop etc etc.

>chmod: missing operand after `./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin'
>Try `chmod --help' for more information.
>steven at Studio25:~$ chmod a+x ./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin
>chmod: cannot access `./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin': No
> such file or directory
>steven at Studio25:~$ chmod a+x ./home/steven/Desktop jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
>chmod: cannot access `./home/steven/Desktop': No such file or directory
>chmod: cannot access `jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin': No such file or directory
>]steven at Studio25:~$ ]
>
>Both the debian .bin and the .rpm are on my desktop.  Desktop is properly
>capitalized.  The title came from the desktop icon for the .bin.  What have
> I done wrong?

See above.  The period in front of the path anchors it to the present 'pwd'
point for its starting point to search for the file.  And of course it fails,
the file isn't there, and likely the rest of that extended path does not
exist either.

And, the chmod expects the argument representing what it is to do to the files
attributes between it's invocation name, and the file list it is to work on.
You did that correctly in the repeats above, but the first period in the path
broke it.

man chmod

is your friend

--