Free Downtown Dayton Internet service.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 21 21:00:01 UTC 2009

> Steven, this is off-topic.

I don't see anything on the box that would indicate that it has bridge
capabilities.  It is a D-Link High Speed 802.11G Wireless 108Mbps Router.
AirPlusXtremeG

D-Link AirPlusXtreme G networks can transfer data up to 15X faster than
standard 802.11B networks through the enhancement of Atheros Super G
technology.  With its advanced firewall and security features, the DI-624
enables users to securely share an Internet connection with wired or wireless
computers.
> However, you need a router with wireless
> bridge capabilities,

Nothing I could see on the box talked about bridge capabilities.

> like
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180035&nm_mc=OTC-F
>roogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Network+-+Wireless+AP/Bridge-_-Encore-_-33180035

Mine is twice as fast as the one you showed.

> I'm sure there are cheaper ones; that's just an example.  The idea is that
> the router connects to the downtown wireless network, and your computer
> connects to the router by CAT-5/Ethernet cable.

My guess is that the antenna is there so that other users in the house can
connect to the internet, and is not used as a signal receiver.  But that
doesn't mean it can't, I suppose.  As I recall, when I had it working for my
laptop, I had 3 different signals that I could connect to.  My laptop has the
same kind of card as my router, 108Mbps.

> I don't know if the model you have can act as a wireless bridge.  Also
> note that the free wireless will not necessarily be faster than DSL.

I was wondering about that.  They said all I had to have was the equipment to
receive the signal and a wireless account and I could connect, but what is it
about having a wireless account that allows you to connect to a universal
out-source.  The downtown service is provided by the city of Dayton, surely
all the users don't have a wireless account with Cincinnati Bell.

I am thinking that if I have the hardware, I should be able to connect to the
signal from the city.

My new computer has a Gigabit network internal.  Will it receive the signal
from the city?  Do I need a PCI card with antenna to receive it?  My
connection is the slowest DSL service now, surely the wireless connection
from the city would be that fast, don't you think?

Do you know of a good tutorial for dummies about networking?  Never mind, I
will google that.

Steven