What are the firewalls present on a normal installation of hardy?

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 20:43:06 UTC 2009

2009/1/21 Ignazio Palmisano <ignazio_io at yahoo.it>:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
>> I am only getting about 70kbs of download speed.  AT&T says I should be
>> getting between 384 and 768 kbs.  They say that a router slows the speed.  Of
>> course they don't service Linux, but what do you suggest I say to them.  I
>> haven't installed any firewall that I know of, other than any that were
>> automatically installed with the OS.
>>
>> Steven
>>

> As far as I can tell a router can slow the connection only if many
> computers are attached to it, sharing its bandwidth. Just one silly
> check: the speed you are seeing is 70 kbs or 70 kilobytes per second?
> DSL lines are advertised in kilobits per second, for historical and
> marketing reasons, and the ration kilobit to kilobyte is 10:1 (rule of
> thumb), so it might be that the speed you're seeing is actually the
> speed you should get. This just to make sure we're not bashing the
> provider without reason :)
> HTH,
> I.

It don't have to be many computers, it's enough with one downloading
at a high rate. For many of the cheapier routers i know of it's the
CPU that cant keep a high throughput and if you have firewall and SPI
activated it gets worse. My father has 100 Mbit/s internet and with
his old router (3com i think) he could max get 20 Mbit/s through the
router he den bought an expensive Cisco router, it's much better but
he still don't get 100 Mbit/s through the router.

I would try to test without the router and if its good then it's a bad
router or some configuration in it. Ubuntu has a firewall, UFW,
installed but as default it's disabled and i doubt it will have such
impact on the bandwidth.

/ Jonas