re grub error 17

Hervé Fache Herve at lucidia.net
Wed Jan 21 20:16:51 UTC 2009

Hi Ray,

2009/1/21 Ray Burke <rayburke30 at hotmail.com>

>  Herve,
>
> I am sorry as kost of my questions on the forum go astray!!!!!

No worries :-)

> when I boot from the backup disk it just continually says gub, but this was
> clonned copy thru ghost 3 of the main xp pro??

I s'pose ghost did not just copy the disk... I actually don't know this
program. I use dd which is not very beautiful being command line and all
that, but does exactly what's written on the tin :-)

> do I do this $ df /boot when in K and with just my xp pro drive and linux
> drive?????

Sorry, you'd do this from the command line (Konsole) in Kubuntu. Sorry again
for my use of command line, I actually don't know the graphical tools though
I know they exist.

To copy the disks, I'd boot from a LiveCD of Kubuntu, so none of the hard
disks are being used, then I'd make a bit-for-bit copy of my disks to the
backup; that's what dd does.

For example, when you start from the LiveCD, your main hard disk maybe
/dev/sdc and your backup disk /dev/sdb, do you'd copy like so:
$ dd if=/dev/sdc of=/dev/sdb

This means copy from input 'file' (if) /dev/sdc to output 'file' (of)
/dev/sdb, and it preserves the boot record and partition table.

You can also copy partitions the same way (after checking that destination
>= source). For example:
$ dd if=/dev/sda3 of=/dev/sdb4

Good luck,
Hervé