Free Downtown Dayton Internet service.

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Wed Jan 21 19:42:09 UTC 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:
> I just tried to change my ISP to Cincinnati Bell, to get cheaper and faster
> service.  They told me that I could connect free to the downtown
> free-service, because I am in live in the area.  My laptop is broken , but I
> have a router with antenna.

Steven, this is off-topic.  However, you need a router with wireless
bridge capabilities, like
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180035&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Network+-+Wireless+AP/Bridge-_-Encore-_-33180035
I'm sure there are cheaper ones; that's just an example.  The idea is
that the router connects to the downtown wireless network, and your
computer connects to the router by CAT-5/Ethernet cable.

> I am currently using AT&T as an ISP.  It
> is a slow DSL service.  If I install my Dlink 108mbs router, can I connect to
> the downtown service using my internet connection service?

I don't know if the model you have can act as a wireless bridge.  Also
note that the free wireless will not necessarily be faster than DSL.

> I am supposed to
> get the signal free, so will my connection to AT&T allow it to work?  TIA.

Well, you can just bypass the AT&T connection.

Matt Flaschen