connecting to a hidden WAP router

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Wed Jan 21 16:02:46 GMT 2009

David McGlone wrote:

> On Tuesday 20 January 2009 10:07:15 pm Derek Broughton wrote:
>> David McGlone wrote:

>> > This is what I do. I only let my mac addresses connect to my network.
>>
>> Not really.  You only let network interfaces _claiming_ to be your MAC
>> addresses connect to the network.  Unfortunately, every NIC is required
>> by the ethernet protocol to announce its MAC address with every packet it
>> sends, and any sniffer can find the MACs on your network - and then
>> making another NIC send that address is trivial.
>
> Is this bad? Should I use something better?

It's not "bad" - there are advantages to checking the MAC address of
connections, you just need to be aware that it can't actually prevent
anybody from connecting to your system if they really want to.

Not checking the MAC addresses is like leaving your house unlocked.  Using
just MAC addresses for security is like hiding the key under the welcome
mat.  Using encrypted connections but not checking MAC addresses would be
like leaving the house unlocked - but with the burglar alarm armed :-)